Wallace Stone is an award-winning consulting practice that specialises in Marine Civil Engineering and Bridges for both private and public sector clients from scheme concept through to detailed design and construction monitoring. We have thriving offices in Glasgow, Dingwall (near Inverness in the Scottish Highlands), and the Isle of Lewis, and, due to continuous growth, we now have an exciting opportunity for a Chartered Civil Engineer to join our busy and expanding team in Glasgow.
Your new role
Candidates will enjoy working on technically challenging projects and be focused on the delivery of high quality solutions to clients. You will work as part of a team on a variety of civil engineering projects such as piers, harbours, marinas, coastal protection, and bridges. Your role will involve carrying out design duties and planning your own work, assisting with the preparation of costed proposals, attending site/project meetings with a Principal Engineer, Associate or Partner, checking the work of Graduate Engineers, and undertaking the role of NEC Site Supervisor during construction. You will also be required to assist with the training of Graduate Engineers. You will be encouraged to take steps to progress your career with us with a view to becoming a Principal Engineer.
What we can offer you
As part of the Glasgow team, you will have the opportunity to work on interesting and unique engineering projects which offer the constant challenges associated with designing in the marine environment. You will work alongside our team of highly experienced engineers and will be given development and training opportunities to assist you to expand your skill set. We offer a competitive salary (£45k to £50k pa), relocation expenses up to the value of £5k, an attractive pension plan, private health care, paid membership of the ICE and 34 days annual leave each year inclusive of bank holidays.
The position will be largely based in the Glasgow design office but will also involve site work around the coast of Scotland and its islands. Site works may require working from one of our rib boats whether for pier inspection or undertaking preliminary bathymetric surveys. The opportunity to be trained as a commercial diver is also available and encouraged, although this is not a prerequisite for the position.
What you will need to succeed
- A good degree in Civil Engineering or Structural Engineering
- Membership of the Institution of Civil Engineers/Structural Engineers (CEng MICE/MIStructE)
- A minimum of 8 years’ experience, preferably on Marine or Bridge projects
- Initiative and enthusiasm, and enjoyment of working in a dynamic team
- The technical ability and experience to undertake design duties on a project, assisting with pricing proposals and attending site/project meetings, and supervising contractors on site
- Good communication skills to liaise directly with clients on behalf of Wallace Stone
- An ability to oversee the work of junior colleagues
- A detailed knowledge of structural design and its basic principles
- A good grasp of geotechnical design and its basic principles
- An understanding of the use of AutoCAD
- Competence in using finite element structural analysis packages
- An ability to prepare designs, calculations, specifications and reports
- An ability to undertake site work including initial feasibility assessment, site inspection / survey and site supervision
- An interest in career progression within the business
To apply, please email your CV to Glasgow@wallacestone.co.uk