MACDUFF HARBOUR SLIPWAY
Reconstruction of the boat repair yard slipway comprising new haulage carriage, boat support cradles, winch house, concrete hardstanding areas, launching slipway and side transfer rails.
Client – RJ McLeod (Contractors) Ltd
Completion – 2008
Value – £3.9m
AREAS OF RESPONSIBILITY
Design of civil works for launching slipway, side transfer rail support system, winch house base and superstructure, and temporary cofferdam.
- Temporary cofferdam to construct the launching slipway in the dry
- Rock bund and sheet pile cut-off wall
- 180m long reinforced concrete slipway structure
- 2600m2 reinforced concrete traverser rail support slab structure
- Concrete retaining walls
- Winch house base and superstructure
The success of the project was dependant on dewatering the site with the temporary cofferdam. Dewatering also required strengthening of the existing finger pier to ensure its stability against water pressure. Installation of the slipway launching rails could then take place in the dry to a high degree of accuracy.
Main Contractor Civil Works – RJ McLeod (Contractors) Ltd
M & E Works – Isleburn