Wallace Stone is an award-winning consulting practice that specialises in Marine Civil Engineering and Bridges for both private and public sector clients from scheme concept through to detailed design and construction monitoring. We have thriving offices in Glasgow, Dingwall (near Inverness in the Scottish Highlands) and the Isle of Lewis, and, due to continuous growth, we now have an exciting opportunity for a Senior Graduate Civil Engineer to join our busy and expanding team in Dingwall.
Your new role
Candidates will enjoy working on technically challenging projects and be focused on the delivery of high quality solutions to clients. You will work as part of a team on a variety of civil engineering projects such as piers, harbours, marinas, coastal protection and bridges. This may involve carrying out design duties on projects overseen by a Chartered Engineer, carrying out site survey work, Civils 3D modelling, preparing quantities and contract documentation, writing reports, assisting the NEC Site Supervisor. You will be encouraged to progress your career with us and will be given support to become chartered and move up the career path.
What we can offer you
As part of the Dingwall team, you will have the opportunity to work on interesting and unique engineering projects which offer the constant challenges associated with designing in the marine environment. You will work alongside our team of highly experienced engineers and will be given training and development opportunities to assist you to expand your skill set. We offer a competitive salary (£35k to £42k pa), relocation expenses up to the value of £5k, an attractive pension plan, private health care, paid membership of the ICE and 34 days annual leave each year inclusive of bank holidays.
You will have the opportunity to live in and travel around the Scottish Highlands, with its many attractions. For those who love the great outdoors, there are leisure activities such as walking, mountaineering, biking or water sports. Dingwall is a busy market town, just 20 minutes from Inverness, the capital of the Highlands. Both offer good general amenities and transport links, restaurants and bars and cultural activities.
The position will be largely based in the Dingwall design office, but may also involve site work around the coast of Scotland and its islands. Site works may require working from one of our rib boats whether for pier inspection or undertaking preliminary bathymetric surveys. The opportunity to be trained as a commercial diver is also available and encouraged, although this is not a prerequisite for the position.
What you will need to succeed
- A good degree in Civil or Structural Engineering, preferably a Masters degree with Merit (2:1) or above
- 3 to 5 years’ post-graduate experience, (preferably on Marine or Bridge projects)
- Initiative and enthusiasm, and enjoyment of working in a dynamic team
- A good understanding of structural design and its basic principles
- A good grasp of geotechnical design and its basic principles
- Competence in using AutoCAD
- Competence in using finite element structural analysis packages
- Ability in the preparation of designs, calculations, specifications and reports
- The willingness to undertake site work including initial feasibility assessment, site inspection / survey and site supervision
- Good written and verbal communication skills
- The willingness to become chartered and an interest in career progression within the business
To apply, please email your CV to Dingwall@wallacestone.co.uk