Wallace Stone is an award-winning consulting practice, specialising in Marine Civil Engineering and Bridges for both private and public sector clients from scheme concept through to detailed design and construction monitoring. We have offices in Glasgow, Dingwall and the Hebrides and, due to continued growth, we now have an exciting opportunity for a Graduate Civil Engineer to join our busy office in Stornoway, Isle of Lewis. (Applications from students currently in the Masters year of their Engineering degree will also be considered.)
Candidates will enjoy technical challenges and be focused on the delivery of high quality solutions to our clients. You will work with colleagues on a variety of civil engineering projects such as Piers, Harbours, Marinas, Coastal Protection and Bridges. The position will be largely based in the design office, but will also involve site work around the beautiful coast of Scotland and its islands. Site works may require working from one of our rib boats for pier inspection or undertaking preliminary bathymetric surveys. The opportunity to be trained as a commercial diver is also available and encouraged. However, this is not a prerequisite for the position.
What you will need to succeed
- Masters Degree with Merit or above in Civil Engineering
- Initiative and enthusiasm, and the ability to work in a dynamic team
- An understanding of structural design and its basic principles
- An understanding of geotechnical design and its basic principles
- Competence in using AutoCAD
- Competence in using finite element analysis packages
- The ability to assist in the preparation of designs, calculations, specifications and reports
- The willingness to undertake site work including initial feasibility assessment, site inspection/survey and site supervision
- Good verbal and written communication skills
What we can offer you
You will have the opportunity to work on interesting and unique engineering projects which offer the constant challenges associated with designing in the marine environment. You will work alongside highly experienced engineers who will assist you in developing and expanding your skill set with a view to becoming a chartered civil engineer. We offer a competitive salary, an attractive pension plan, private health care and 34 days annual leave each year (inclusive of bank holidays).
To apply, please email your CV to Hebrides@wallacestone.co.uk.