Wallace Stone is an award-winning consulting practice that specialises in Marine Civil Engineering and Bridges for both private and public sector clients from scheme concept through to detailed design and construction monitoring. We have thriving offices in Glasgow, Dingwall (near Inverness in the Scottish Highlands), and the Isle of Lewis, and, due to continuous growth, we now have an exciting opportunity for an Associate Civil Engineer to join our busy and expanding team in Dingwall.
Your new role
Candidates will enjoy working on technically challenging projects, such as piers, harbours, marinas, coastal protection and bridges, and be focused on the delivery of high quality solutions to clients. As an experienced engineer, you will manage larger civil engineering projects and a number of projects with the same client. This will involve managing the design teams, carrying out project technical reviews and overseeing the financial aspects of the project, including invoicing. You will be consulted during decision making for the direction of the business, be party to certain financial decisions, such as software and hardware upgrades, and be involved in any review of and subsequent changes to our QMS system. You will also be involved in identifying the training needs of staff and staff reviews and will be interested in advancing your own career within the business.
What we can offer you
As part of the Dingwall team, you will have the opportunity to work on interesting and unique engineering projects which offer the constant challenges associated with designing in the marine environment. You will work alongside our team of highly experienced engineers and will be given development and training opportunities to assist you to expand your skill set. We offer a competitive salary (£70k to £75k pa), relocation expenses up to the value of £5k, an attractive pension plan, private health care, paid membership of the ICE and 34 days annual leave each year inclusive of bank holidays.
You will have the opportunity to live in and travel around the Scottish Highlands, with its many attractions. For those who love the great outdoors, there are leisure activities such as walking, mountaineering, biking or water sports. Dingwall is a busy market town, just 20 minutes from Inverness, the capital of the Highlands. Both offer good general amenities and transport links, restaurants and bars and cultural activities.
The position will be largely based in the Dingwall design office, but will also involve site work around the coast of Scotland and its islands. Site works may require working from one of our rib boats whether for pier inspection or undertaking preliminary bathymetric surveys. The opportunity to be trained as a commercial diver is also available and encouraged, although this is not a prerequisite for the position.
What you will need to succeed
- A good degree in Civil Engineering or Structural Engineering
- Membership of the Institution of Civil Engineers/Structural Engineers (CEng MICE/MIStructE)
- A minimum of 15 years’ experience, preferably on Marine or Bridge projects
- Initiative and enthusiasm, and enjoyment of working in a dynamic team
- Considerable experience in all aspects of Project Management (from conception through design, tendering and construction, including on site supervision and management)
- Good communication skills to liaise directly with clients on behalf of Wallace Stone
- Experience and ability in overseeing the work of both junior and senior colleagues
- A detailed knowledge of structural design and its basic principles
- A good grasp of geotechnical design and its basic principles
- An understanding of the use of AutoCAD
- Competence in using finite element structural analysis packages
- An ability to prepare designs, calculations, specifications, reports and contract documents
- An ability to undertake site work including initial feasibility assessment, site inspection / survey and site supervision
- An interest in career progression within the business
- An ability to manage aspects of the business to assist the Partners
To apply, please email your CV to Glasgow@wallacestone.co.uk